Saturday, March 21, 2009

Home made EM

After re-considering the many greatness of EM ( Effective Microorganism ) , I have decided to make my own EM , to be used for my worm food scrap fermentation. I have browse thru few agriculture sites/blogs and surprisingly, I found very informative blog from Indonesia , teaching on how to DIY ( do it yourself ) Effective Microorganism. The process are rather simple , but the turn over time of obtaining a good quality of EM may take up to 2 to 3 months.

Below is the ingredients that I used for making my own EM , ( not sure either it success or not )

5 liter of water – preferably a rain water or aged tap water
1.5 kg of food scrap – fruits peels , vegetables ( no meats , dairy product )
500 gram of molasses – diluted in warm water

The ratio of making a good EM is 10:3:1 , ( Water : Food scrap : Molasses )

Step 1:-
Cut your food scrap into small pieces – no need to be perfect

Step 2 :-
Prepare molasses , dilute it in warm water , no need to be very warm , just enough to make the molasses melt.


Step 3 :-
Pour the diluted molasses in a 5liter air tight container and stir a bit

Step 4 :-
Put all your chopped food scrap into the container


Close it tightly ( preferable air tight container ) and store it. Pls avoid direct sun light and store it in a cool dark place such as in your bathroom. Open the cover daily for a gas burp and stir it a bit , this to make the built up ammonia gas escape , and also to get rid of the unpleasant smell if any. As I mentioned it earlier , making and home made EM is not the exact science , thus , hopefully , the EM can be use in 2 to 3 month , when the ph of the solution is ~ 3.5. Will update on the status on my DIY EM , gradually. Bye !.

No comments: